Books, Books, Books, oh! and more books ;)

Monday, November 25, 2019

Review: Maybe Someday

Maybe Someday Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Sorry, everyone... There is an Unpopular Opinion warning in effect. Batton down the hatches my friends because the storm is rolling through!
description

OK... So I have had this book on my TBR list for quite a while. It's one of those that I have heard very good things about, had recommended to me several times, and also just so happened to be narrated by my ALL TIME FAVORITE NARRATOR OF ALL TIME, Mr. Zachary Webber.

So, I dove into this book STUPIDLY without doing my normal research upfront. I know it might be blasphemous to some, but I do look up certain spoilers before I invest time into reading a novel. I must confirm there are no ridiculous love triangles, no cheating, and an HEA. I don't need to know the details, but there are just some things that are a Gandalf scenario.
description

This book.... *sigh* This book hit three of my Gandalf scenarios. I got to 30% and wanted to throw the book down and forget I ever thought it was a good idea to read. F THIS!
description

But I took a deep breath and decided that I will finish it for the good of being a good book nerd who doesn't stop reading books halfway through.... But also because my book club said I had to.

SOME SPOILERS AHEAD PEOPLE - Keep your hands, arms, legs, and feet inside the review at all times.

Well, lets get to the reasons I say this book was SO not for me. Firstly, A really ridiculous love triangle. I am NEVER a a fan of a love triangle, but I do agree that sometimes it can be done in a way that doesn't make me want to poke my eye out with a fork.
This one.... It was a real struggle to stay away from the silverware drawer.
Ridge - Hero - Is a super hot rocker guy who lives across the apartment complex from our Heroin, Sydney. He is fantastic looking and plays guitar outside on the patio and this is how they get to know each other. Great. Lovely!~ What a fun story!! - Enter Hunter, Sydney's cheating BF, who was cheating with her roommate and BFF, Tori. Scandalous! Still fine though. Scummy cheating ex's are a common fixture in New Adult romance.
When Syd finds out, she needs a place to live and who comes to the rescue? None other than Dun Da Da Dunnnn!!! Ridge and his fancy pants guitar.

This is where the shit comes in. Ridge has GF, Maggie. Who is the all-around best character in this whole damn book. She is more likable, has more agency, is more independent and has the supurb decision-making skills that everyone else in the book was completely and painfully short on.

Sydney was dumb as a rock at times and it just made me hate her. A huge part of her character was the fact that she didn't want to be a Tori, but of course she was and it could have easily been stopped. If it was so important to her NOT to be a Tori, then why didn't she grow some balls and do the right thing and MOVE OUT! Don't give me that BS of she didn't have the money because when the plot damnded she move out, she did. So she simply COULDN't have done this earlier?? Why?? Well because then the book couldn't happen. (There are more things I hated about her, but I just can't type for that long and have my fingers still work)

Ridge - What a likable guy for like 45% of the book. A rocker with a heart of gold and magical fingers. (To strum his guitar! Get your minds out of the gutter) I just could not stand the fact that he was totally unable to make ANY decisions on the women in his life. I mean, I get that you can like two people at the same time, but I don't buy that you have not even ONE inkling of who you love more. Ridiculous.
If he did have any idea who he would stay with I would have to say it was Maggie. That is the direction he leans for basically the entire book. It really destroyed any love I had for the main couple. We were witness to love scenes between Ridge and Maggie, cute little texts and inside Jokes between them. It really just cheapened the whole entire romance between the main couple. Ridge and Sydneys connection never felt special to me, it never felt unique or one of a kind and I think that's what really killed the book.
It's impossible to feel that excitement when the couple finally gets together because you aren't experiencing something special.
He didn't even really accept that Sydney was his one and only person even in the end when Maggie! It made it really feel like she was his second choice and you just can't have that in a romance. It's just un-cool.

So yeah, my favorite thing about this book was Zachary Webber and he could read me a DMV Rules and Regulations Handbook and I would still swoon.

It was odd to be in the minority with this one, but I guess it happens on occasion :/


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment