Books, Books, Books, oh! and more books ;)

Monday, November 11, 2019

Review: Hooked on the Game

Hooked on the Game Hooked on the Game by C.M. Owens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

**3.75 Stars** I rounded up for GoodReads star rating purposes

So I loved the start of this book. I was all about the enemies to lovers trope. The plot, characters, story arc... all done reasonably well. After the 80% mark my interest started flagging though.

It seemed that much of the controversy in the plot around and after this mark became more contrived than natural to the story. I found myself thinking, "Well, it makes no sense that she would feel this way or do this thing." Which is never good.

The ending conflict was great as far as an idea, but it felt abrupt. And not in a good way, Like "Oh wow! I never saw this twist coming! but more like a "What the hell is going on and who is this other person?". I feel that the foreshadowing was there but not really sufficient enough or not well executed enough to be effective in creating that 'gotcha' ending.

The ending was also very convenient. The resolution to the main conflict seemed to fall into place with a perfect coincidence. It just seemed too easy.

I did enjoy the read though. I will definitely read the next in the series as this one seemed a lot like a set up novel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment